Information Tools Go Offline as UB Regional Institute Considers New Approach to Data and Information on the Region
As part of its mission to make data and information available for the Buffalo Niagara region, the UB Regional Institute offered both the State of the Region and the Regional Knowledge Network as part of its suite of online tools.
State of the Region
Since 2005, the UB Regional Institute offered the State of the Region, its performance-measurement tool for the Buffalo Niagara region to enhance the accessibility of data and analysis on key regional issues. The UB Regional Institute has taken the State of the Region offline to rethink how it presents and updates data and information on the region. The State of the Region is one of several resources provided by the institute to build understanding and frame debate in the region on critical topics, ranging from the economy to education. At this time, the institute is working toward a more integrated approach to providing the region with information in ways that are engaging, efficient and useful.
Regional Knowledge Network
The UB Regional Institute offered The Regional Knowledge Network as a central resource for reliable information on the binational Buffalo Niagara region.
With the goal of building regional understanding and informing decision making, the UB Regional Institute developed RKN to provide government officials, regional leaders, community activists, researchers and citizens with access to up-to-date data on the region. RKN offered data, maps and resources on nine topic areas covering Western New York, Southern Ontario and the 264 municipalities within the region.
New Approaches for Online Tools
The UB Regional Institute has taken the State of the Region and the Regional Knowledge Network offline to rethink how it presents and updates data and information on the region. Both tools are examples of several resources provided by the institute to build understanding and frame debate in the region on critical topics, ranging from the economy to education. At this time, the institute is working toward a more integrated approach to providing the region with information in ways that are engaging, efficient and useful.
Projects such as One Region Forward represent one of our new approaches to share information and providing context for decisionmaking in the region.
If you are looking for specific data or information provided by the State of the Region, please feel free to contact the institute to obtain relevant materials.
Data and Resources about the Region:
Many of the data and resources of the Buffalo Niagara binational region featured on the Regional Knowledge Network can be found at the links below.Population and Demographics
- U.S. Census Bureau: The central resource to access data and tools from the U.S. Census. Resources include decennial census data, interactive maps, working papers, and other resources.
- American FactFinder: The data mining tool of the U.S. Census, American FactFinder is a search engine for demographic facts of various geographies, from the block group to nation levels.
- Statistics Canada: Demographic and economic data on the Canadian areas of our binational region, as well as maps and other geographical tools can be found on Statistics Canada.
- New York State Data Center: A compilation of economic and demographic data for the state and its sub-geographies.
- New York State Office of the State Comptroller: Detailed data and information regarding local fiscal issues and budgets.
- New York State Board of Elections: Information, maps and data on election results and voting trends in New York State.
- New York State Office of Real Property Services-Municipal Profiles: Resource provides details of tax rates and exemptions, Residential Assessment Ratio (RAR), and other assessment related data for local municipalities and counties.
- U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis: Resource provides numerous economic statistics related to national, international, regional and industrial entities.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Comprehensive data source for economic and labor statistics.
- New York State Department of Labor: Offers data regarding employment, industry makeup, unemployment rates, and other data at various geographic levels.
- Buffalo Niagara Enterprise: A wide range of resources regarding real estate, industry clusters and demographic/workforce profiles in the region.
- Buffalo Niagara Commercial Listing Service: An online mapping tool to explore demographic and economic trends in relation to available commercial properties.
- New York State School Report Cards: Comprehensive data on every public school and school district in New York State.
- National Center for Education Statistics: A comprehensive resource that conducts extensive surveys and programs to improve the quality of education for students. This also includes publications, data, tools and fast facts.
- Ontario Ministry of Education: Resource includes a search engine for finding elementary, secondary and post-secondary schools in the Province of Ontario.
- Environment Canada: This resource comprehensively covers Environment Canada’s publication data along with data on acts and regulations.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency: Comprehensive website that provides data regarding various environmental issues and relating laws and regulations.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation: Information regarding environmental issues in New York State.
- Ontario Ministry of the Environment: Provides data regarding local projects and ministry initiatives. The extensive Environmental Acts and Regulations are featured in this web resource.
- EPA Safe Drinking Water Information System: Features information regarding the local drinking water supplier and also its history of violation over the past ten years. It also provides data on wastes, toxics and radiation.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Environmental Justice Areas: This website shows maps of New York State counties with Potential Environmental Justice Areas.
- New York State Department of Transportation: Resource provides information regarding projects undertaken by the department. It contains a comprehensive set of programs and services. Information regarding Civil Rights Acts and Programs, Government/Business Funding and Grants, Education and Training, Environmental Acts and Programs, and Permits and Registration is provided.
- Ontario Ministry of Transportation: This resource provides information about the ministry and latest transportation updates. It also features information regarding the ministry’s priority projects in the transportation sector.
- Greater Buffalo Niagara Regional Transportation Council: Describes the planning for projects such as the Human Service Transportation Plan and Metropolitan Transportation Plan, along with the status of current projects. It also contains maps, data and publications.
- Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority: This resource provides information regarding schedules of buses and metro-rails along with traffic information. The resource also provides links to the websites of the Buffalo Airport and Niagara Falls Airport.
- Center for Transportation Excellence: This resource is a clearinghouse of information that supports quality transportation choices. It features election results and research pertaining to transit options.
- New York State Office of Mental Health: Provides extensive statistics and reports regarding adult housing, children, teens and families.
- New York State Department of Health: Contains data regarding, birth, death, marriage and divorce records. It also features various health related programs and initiatives.
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Community Facility Search: Provides data regarding hospitals and health care institutions in the state of Ontario.
- Western New York 2-1-1: Database of various health and human service providers across Western New York.
- New York State Office of Children and Family Services Day Care Facility Search: Provides data regarding locations of various day care facilities and services.
- New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services Crime Statistics: Features index crime data of New York State. It also provides data regarding arrest counts and criminal activities of juveniles.
- New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation: Features data regarding historic sites and state parks in New York.
- Ontario Parks: Provides data regarding park locations.
- National Register of Historic Places: Contains data of registered places with historical and architectural significance.
- Canadian Register of Historical Places: Contains information about historical places in Canada.
- Foundation Center: Data regarding funders is available along with foundation statistics.
- American Religion Data Archive: Contains comprehensive religion data.
About State of the Region
A founding project of the Regional Institute, the State of the Region monitors the binational Buffalo Niagara region’s performance in 11 key areas through quantifiable data analysis. Its 1999 baseline report was developed in conjunction with more than 200 community members. Progress reports were released in 2000 and 2003, with the second focusing on the issue of equity in Buffalo Niagara. The State of the Region project transitioned in July 2005 to an online presentation of data and performance measures.
About the Regional Knowledge Network
RKN launched in its first phase in March 2006. With support from The John R. Oishei Foundation, RKN will reached full build-out by May 2008, presenting data through maps, downloadable data and a list of regional resources.